August 27, 2007

Having iSilo Trouble?

It has come to my notice that some of you are having trouble with the Symbian Wikipedia on iSilo. Given that it isn't the most intuitive ebook reader on the planet, this doesn't come as a surprise. Anyway, here's a short step-by-step guide, complete with illustrations, that's sure to help you out.

Special Notes:

First up, please ensure you've installed iSilo to your memory card. Now send the Wiki.pdb file to your phone via bluetooth or via cable using Nokia PC Suite. In this example, I've placed it in e:\documents

Using iSilo:

  • When you run iSilo, you may come across this screen

    Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

  • Using your phone joystick/navipad, navigate to the tab on the extreme right (i.e. by pressing the right arrow a couple of times)

    Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

  • Using your phone keypad, press the "c" key a couple of times until you get to this screen

    Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

  • Now click on "e:Storage Card" and navigate to the folder where you've placed your file. For instance, in e:\documents

    Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

And there you have it! As always, if you have any queries or comments, feel free to write in :)

7 comments:

gammagoblin said...

I'm having a lot of iSilo problems. First off when I tried it a few weeks back, I found it buggy as hell. It would crash the whole phone when I open a file. Not only that, but merely having the app installed caused my phone to heat up and run down my battery.

I decided to give it another go now. I found another problem now. It doesnt display text correctly. See here . I'll keep trying but I dont see myself getting very far :(

I use QReader for all my other ebook needs. It's an excellent free app for your phone, it will read a lot of formats, including Palm pdb files, but it doesnt like iSilo pdb's :(

A real pity, I was looking forward to your wiki file.

Taha M said...

That's quite strange...it really is trouble-free on my phone. About the funny characters bit...have you checked all the font settings in Menu>Edit>Options>Font? What all do you see listed there?

Otherwise the problem *could* be with the text encoding...I'll see if I can do something about that in the forthcoming release :)

Meantime, why don't you try an older or a newer release of iSilo than the one you currently have installed? Just a thought...

Sakshamspeaks said...

Hi people of Series 60 world..Really good job...BTW I am interested in making Wikipedia for Isilo & other book readers..What is the way of making the same..I know a lot of ideas but just wanna know which one You people using..Contact me at sakshamkatyal@gmail.com

Anonymous said...

mayday...mayday...
i can not instal isilo to my new nokia e60...hiks...hiks...they said: contact the vendor aplication, there is an error sertification...
could anyone help me...hiks..hikss

Taha M said...

Try this out:

From Menu, go to Tools > App. mgr > Options > Settings. Then change “Software installation” from “Signed Only” to “All” and “Online certif check” to “Off”.

Hope that solves your problem!

Anonymous said...

hey guys m facing a strange problem while running wiki on isilo, from last two three days..
whenever i open wiki and try to open any text a it show a msg "these features are not available in free mosde:heprelinks, images, color, tables, mixed font sexes, clipborad copy bla bla bla"...
tell me what does it mean??
do i need to register?? right now m using latest version(5.01) of isilo.. if i need to register then tell me how can i find free version??


thanx in advance

Taha M said...

It means that somehow you got yourself into iSilo's Free Mode. To get out of free mode, follow these steps:

- Run iSilo and tap Menu.
- Go to Edit > Options.
- Move to the tab labelled 'Mode' (Press right-key on your joystick/navipad to move between tabs)
- Disable Free Mode
- Tap OK.